Sunday, June 10, 2007

Dry


This is getting pathetic. Four days without posting. Haven't written in any of those. My self-doubt is in red alert right now...

I'm fantasizing about going to medical school and becoming a surgeon. I tell myself that the more I focus on BEING a writer, the more I dislike writing. I tell myself that it should just be a hobby, something I do on the side of a real job.

Finished Hornby's book. Man, was it great! It made me feel that I'll never be a truly great writer. On the other hand, I've started reading The Secret Life of Bees and I'm like, "Huh? This was a BESTSELLER? How?" It's not written all that well, and the author has a hard time keeping her voice out of it and so I feel pulled from the story a lot. In other words, she doesn't capture the voice of a young woman effectively.

Can I really be on the brink of abandoning my novel so close to the starting line? I'm dreaming up memoirs and short stories, documentary ideas and articles. Like I wrote before, my biggest challenge by far is sticking with a project to the end. Maybe I'm making this too boring! Maybe I need to write FUN stuff! Or, write stuff in a FUN way...

No comments: